Westlaw New Zealand - How to research a case by topic using Terms and Connectors
To conduct a search using terms and connectors in the search bar, follow the below steps:
- Search the Global Search Box for all content. Enter "copyright infringement” /p music!
In this example we have used quotation marks to search for the phrase ‘copyright infringement’.
Use the exclamation point allows more words to be found, I.e., music, musical or musician.
The /p is used to deliver search terms appearing in the same paragraph.
- Click on search to display results.
- The overview summary displays all results with search terms highlighted in yellow. Click on the highlighted word(s) to open the document to the area where your search term appears.
Find a case using the Cases advanced search template
The advanced search allows you to use field restrictions or use a template to create a Terms and Connectors search.
From the homepage, navigate to the Case Law Advanced Search Template by selecting Cases, then Advanced.
The section ‘Find documents that have’ includes a set of fields that can be populated to build a search string, e.g:
- All of these terms - director
- Any of these terms - liability duty
- This exact phrase - false statement
The results will list the cases relevant to your search. You can filter using the panel on the left side of the screen.