Westlaw New Zealand - How to find cases on a point of law using the Key Number System
Experienced legal editors have read, summarised and classified case law by topic and subtopics that represent specific points of law. Each specific point of law is assigned a unique number, called a Key Number.
You can use the Key Number System to find cases discussing similar legal concepts and principles.
- Specific points of law addressed in a particular case will be listed in Classifcations on the document tab of a case.
- You can change the presentation of the classification using the view options at the top right of the first Key Number.
- Scroll down the page to select a key number to locate cases on a relevant topic, e.g., 24k228 Failure to comply with health and safety duty exposing a person to risk of death or serious injury
- The results outline that there are 94 cases that are classified as offence cases under employment law and of those cases, 76 are classified as Failure to comply with health and safety duty exposing a person to risk of death or serious injury
- Filters to narrow your search are available in the left pane.